The whole thing has to be assembled from kit form, this took 2 adults around 30 mins. You need to superglue (not provided) the bulb holder to the top by the way. The battery compartment doesn't work so use the provided dodgy USB supply - just make sure you don't leave it plugged in when you're away as I wouldn't trust it looking at the circuitry. Also don't attempt to plug your phone into it - it puts out 5.6V-ish and around 800mA short circuit current. The whole thing smelled strongly of petrol which is probably the mould release compound but it is a little disconcerting and I wonder if it is safe especially for children to handle. You could wash the plastic parts first if you were concerned.
So why still getting 4 stars?? For the price - AMAZING! Go for it if you're a tinkerer and you don't mind a bit of a challenge. I bought it just for the star shade as any fairly bright, wide angle LED in there will make cool starry patterns around the room. Also a good lesson in what people manufacturing stuff in Asia have to go through on a daily basis..