We installed 2 cameras Saturday afternoon. Today, Monday is our first day of using them. I am sad to say I wasn't able to connect the cameras to the network on my own. (and I do have some experience working with networks, ips, dsns and the like.) Maybe I could have achieved more if I had understood or figured out that the admin password wasn't the words "no password," but that there literally wasn't a password. (leave it blank and hit enter) I hired a friend. It took him 3 hours to get both cameras able to be viewed on our computers and on my husband’s smart-phone. He tried to create video recordings and save them to a file called security cameras. We could see that recording was occurring and what the video clip was called, but that weren't in the file called security cameras, even though that is where we saved them. We couldn't find them. I was able to turn off the green blinking light.
I am very pleased with the camera's clear images. It adjusts its self very well to extreme light changes. It worked will with sunlight reflecting off the snow and in very dim light; it is easy to distinguish facial features and actions. It is easy to use the panning and tilting motions. The waiting room camera is on the ceiling. We found the control to flip the picture so it didn't look like people were walking on the ceiling. The camera being upside down causes the writing on the glass door to be readable, instead of mirror image as it would be if the camera were right side up.
Camera's clear pictures and ease of operating once it is set-up earns it 5 stars. The difficulty in set-up for a lay person is the reason I marked as 4 stars.
We installed this camera last week and we are astounded by the quality to price ration. This exactly the price and quality we were looking for.
There are limits you can do with the 640x480 resolution, you won't be reading 12pt text off paper 15 feet away. But as for a decent quality image good enough to make out who passed by the lens and what color clothes they are wearing, this is a definitely worth the test run in your location.
We use this in our garage to see who has the door open and what they are doing. It's very good in this job.
I ordered two of these PT cameras and so far I've been thrilled with them. I think the Non-Internet Explorer software needs work (these use Active X) but other than that these cameras pack a lot of features into a very low price. They were easy to set up and get running, simple to configure to email and much to my surprise were getting support from quite a few surveillance products.
If you can't find a specific "Wanscam" compatible product try them as one of the various models of "Foscam". I'm thinking about buying a couple more, just because they are so cheap right now. Here's a daytime picture from the front of my house.
Ok so here goes, an all round honest review of this wireless IP camera (model C2WA0C198)
Ordering and shipment - Good
- Easy to use site with good delivery tracking made it easy to order the product and track the delivery. Delivery took 5 days to the UK as planned.
- Note there will be a courier charge (~£17) however I was expecting this from reading the other reviews
- The camera does not come with a LAN cable which is important to set-up it's IP address. Luckily I had one to hand from another device.
Product - Good
- First impressions were good. Descent build quality, not too obvious in size and a practical design.
- Setting up the camera was not straightforward. There is no printed manual however it is on the supplied disk. The manual however is not very clear and is in broken English. You really need some IT literacy to get the camera set-up and connected to your wireless router.
- Note: if the wrong wireless password is entered in the camera, the network light will still blink even though a connection is not made. So be careful when entering your passwords.
- Software installation was easy although you have to learn what all the icons do yourself. There is no instructions on the software (eg how to get to the camera menu screen).
- Picture quality is impressive - even at night. The attached image is taken during the day
- The zoom controls do not work from the software
- The mic is not too clear on the camera and interference occurs when talking or listening using the camera's mic and speaker
Remote Viewing - Good
- The software essentially runs in a browser so you can view the camera's output from any PC or mobile phone. IE is the preferred browsers from which more functions are available. However I use it with Chrome and it's fine.
- However I downloaded the tinyCam Monitor Android app which is much better. It supports Wanscam cameras which I did have to set-up on my own as the camera was not automatically detected.
In summary, a good product which I do recommend. We use all the time to monitor our baby son - I get to see him from work. Set-up is confusing and you will need to understand IP computing to get through this - it took me 3hrs but I do work in software. Now that I know how to install them, I will probably buy more once I've run this for a while and further tested its quality - so far so good.
Just received my second Wanscam camera after trialling the first one for over 6 months! Love the product and the recent changes to the manual have made it so much easier to set-up. Thanks
Av sody 15 / 09 / 2012
Works well for my needs but very short range Wifi coz b/g only not new N Wifi so I use in office where router is. I/R lights only come on when they want very temperamental. That's coz the Internet Website software is really very bad. Half the time the buttons don't work on the software. This one is the C118 but I also got the B118 (b/g/n wifi) from Amazon but same problem with I/R lights but Wifi extremely better distance can use far away in livingroom. Don't buy the C118 if going to use Wifi at a short or long distance. Picture quality is poor and fuzzy but for $50 can still use and make out figures. Color has a purple pink tint on most everything but B118 even with the IR Cut has the same picture quality as the C118. For the cost they are fun to play with but really they are toys from China. All in all I like the cameras & use them everyday from remote access locations. The sound is terrible coz on Wifi the static wifi noise is too loud but if connected directly to Ethernet wire port the sound is much better. I've not been able to get email alert to work to send to Gmail - think this is hopeless & also recording to HDrive doesn't work. But if just monitoring rooms I am quiet pleased. I use free NCH video capture to manually record to HDrive - have to manually save pics 1 at a time to HDrive. Also, do not get all software buttons using Google Chrome or Foxfire only in IE but then video screen is off & covers half the buttons in 640 mode...
As my first comment was erased I'll try a new one. The camera works, emailing photo's when detecting movement works, sound over internet works, recording video's works, but..controlling the movement when the camera is installed up side down doesn't work. It only moves up, not down. I emailed wanscam about it, as is seems an programming error. When the camera is seated normal, everything simply works 100%. Please pay attention the customs can intercept your product when shipped and you have to..you know.
Few days later: alarm stopped working, did factory reset, now at work so I cannot reconnect, have to connect it with cable again to set wifi. Green light doesn't work either. Still no reply from Wanscam about program error...
I adjusted my rating to Average.
This is the 2nd IP cam I have bought and this one came defective, so I am waiting for the replacement to come.
I had previously purchaced one and it installed just fine and I used it as my front door security cam.
I found it relativly easy to install and the picture was fine.
I'm waiting your answer about my Wanscam, because don't have Portuguese Language, and I don't can to configuration Wi-Fi, nothing work. Please tell me how I can to proceed to return this Wanscam?
I hope receiving your reply as soon as possible.
Carlos Pinto Basto
I'm waiting your answer about this Wanscam. I inform you that this cam don't have Wi.Fi., after many testings the Wi-Fi don't work.
Gisteren de camera ontvangen na een redelijk snelle verzending.
Ik heb de camera eerst alleen op de telefoon geinstalleerd en ik had de camera na 7 minuten al draaiend op de wifi.
Werkt perfect met de app e-view 7!
Nacht beeld is onwijs goed, wij gaan het gebruiken voor op de baby kamer!
Dag beeld heeft een iets vertekende kleuren pallet.
Top product voor het geld en werkt na behoren!
Binnekort nog 2 stuks bestellen.